Men account for three-quarters of deaths by suicide in many countries. A gendered approach to suicide prevention is needed that considers the sociocultural context of suicide by men and boys. However, few suicide prevention interventions do so, and this work is hampered by a lack of knowledge regarding the key ingredients needed for successful suicide prevention for boys and men. This SIG will bring together researchers, practitioners and people with lived experience who have a common interest and expertise in suicide prevention for boys and men with the goal of expanding the evidence base and informing future suicide prevention efforts.
- To expand scholarship related to suicide prevention for boys and men.
- To develop a community of researchers, practitioners, and people with lived experience who have a common interest and expertise in suicide prevention for boys and men.
- To support students and early career researchers who are working in suicide prevention for boys and men.
- To disseminate knowledge regarding suicide prevention for boys and men to IASP members and the broader community.
Planned On-going Activities
- Tri-annual meetings of members of the SIG hosted in Melbourne, Australia either in person or via electronic means.
- Joint production of research articles related to suicide prevention in boys and men.
- Webinars and blogs related to suicide prevention for boys and men.
- Contribution to a broader community of practice regarding changing masculinities for mental health and suicide prevention.
- Social media activities to facilitate knowledge dissemination to a public audience and connection between those with an interest in suicide prevention for boys and men globally.
- Involvement of industry partners, such as the Movember Foundation, in SIG activities and knowledge dissemination to a wider academic and public audience.
Planned activities for 2020/21
- Foundation and development of SIG.
– Recruitment of members to the SIG.
– First meeting of SIG.
– Collaborative creation of further SIG objectives and activities with SIG members.
- Support of Movember Foundation IASP workshop in 2021.
- Production of review article regarding the outcomes of interventions aimed at suicide prevention for boys and men via a focus on masculinity.